Friday, December 19, 2008

A discussion about "fairness"

The more I read about the financial situation, bailouts, the end of capitalism as we know it, etc., the more I think that it's time for our nation/society to have a lengthy, honest discussion about fairness. It feels like "fairness" has now come to mean making sure I get mine, which strikes me as horribly wrong both morally and practically. We as a society need to begin a "national dialog" about what we want "fairness" to mean, what role government has in achieving fairness in our society, and what government programs will best accomplish (or undermine) the goals we decide on.

Since I had no "theme" for this blog, I think I'll perhaps focus on this new one. I do not know how often I will actually post here, and it may turn out to be never again. Here's hoping that a national politician--perhaps someone running for a major office in 2012--will begin this dialog.